Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
to translate into any language, select "Translate Page" at top right corner of web page
Are you a grandparent raising grandchildren, or are you an aunt, uncle, or other relative left in charge of a minor child by his or her parent?
- In Illinois, over 100,000 children are being raised in grandparent-headed homes. One-fifth of those individuals live in Suburban Cook County. The majority or grandparents are single women. Most have cared for children 5 years or longer and are raising 1-2 children.
- Many grandparents or relative caregivers are overwhelmed with the situations they face. You are not alone. It’s important to ask for help.
- Recognizing the increasing need for services to grandparents who are raising grandchildren, assistance to grandparents who are raising grandchildren is available.
- Catholic Charities Northwest Senior Services assists in coordinating supportive services to grandparents or other non-parent relatives who are the primary caregivers of a relative (by blood, marriage) who is not more than 18.
Catholic Charities’ Activities:
- Reaching out through schools, faith-based organizations, and other organizations about what assistance is available.
- Educational sessions to individuals or groups that address issues affecting grandparents and other non-parent relatives.
- Case management to inform and connect grandparents and other relatives raising grandchildren with available resources. In-home assessments are available.
Benefits and/or services:
- Title III-E services available through the Legal Assistance Foundation
- Child Only Grant
- Illinois Free Lunch Program
- Social Security – Disability and/or survivor benefits
- Support Groups (as available)
- KidCare insurance
- Food Stamps/Public Assistance
- School Fee Waivers
- Gap Filler Service
- Child Daycare
For more information please contact Sheryl Madden-Pitter, MSW at Catholic Charities NW Senior Services at (847)-253-5500 ext 384. Catholic Charities NW Senior Services is funded by Age Options; IL Dept. on Aging; United Way; Individual Donations; and Barrington, Palatine, and Wheeling Townships.